Sunday, May 19, 2013

Revving Up Basic Black & White with Color and Lindsay Phillips Shoes

Graphic black and white is a top trend for spring, and nowhere is this more true than in Indianapolis in May as the city gears up for the greatest spectacle in racing. As I got dressed to take in the Pole Day activities from a suite at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, I realized I've been wearing black and white a lot this month, but always with an unexpected pop of color or pattern and super fun shoes to add an element of surprise and keep things interesting.
Hat:  Nine West
Shoes:  Lindsay Phillips switchflops
Cuff:  Diego Rocha python and suede
Bag:  Fossil
For Pole Day, it's the single bold pop of fuchsia suede in the Diego Rocha cuff I acquired on a recent field trip to Chicago with the Fashion Arts Society to take in the Ebony Fashion Fair exhibit at the Chicago History Museum (a must see!) and a behind the scenes visit with acclaimed handbag designer Rocha (see my friend Madison's Preppy Guide to Life blog for more about this field trip and the fabulous fashions we experienced).  I’m actually wearing the cuff on the "wrong” side, but while playing in Rocha’s design studio, I discovered that the fuchsia suede-backed orange python band could be fastened with either side facing out.   When I asked, Diego said the reversibility was not intentional, but because he only works with the highest quality materials, (even on the underside of his work), I decided it was like getting two bracelets in one and that he should market them as such.  I can’t wait to see if he implements my suggestion!  Regardless, it looks great both ways and I'll be able to wear it twice as much.  The montage below includes a photo of Diego and me in his studio with the orange python side of the cuff facing out, as well as another black and white ensemble, this time revved up with bright yellow details and bumble bee snaps on my Lindsay Phillips snap shoes.

Dress and belt:  The Limited

Bag:  Bodhi Safety Clutch

Shoes:  Lindsay Phillips snap shoes

Both of the above looks feature Lindsay Phillips shoes, which I first discovered on a trip to San Diego several years ago and which offer maximum versatility while taking up minimum space in your closet or suitcase because the fun details are interchangeable, allowing you to change the look of your shoes to match your outfit!  I love to coordinate every detail, so these shoes are a dream come true.  Of course, I had to take it to the next level with the "Switchflops" in look #1, using velcro to temporarily add buttons from JoAnn Fabric to match the damask pattern in the maxi dress.

With the 97th running of the Indy 500 just one week away, look for more black and white complemented by color and high octane shoes to come!

How do you wear black and white? 

No comments:

Post a Comment