Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Buttercream Cupcakes & Cocktails

The buttercream cake pop favors from "Cupcakes and Cocktails" were as pretty as they were delicious!  Coat (Guess, Burlington Coat Factory); Faux Fur Scarf and Headband (Burlington Coat Factory); Brooch (vintage)
Skirt (Lapis, Steinmart - see it styled another way here); Tuxedo jacket (Jones New York, JNY Outlet - see the black version with a black lace skirt here); Boots (Diba, Zappos.com); Collar necklace (vintage, Grace Boutique); Monogram Pendant (The Pink Monogram); Metallic leather and snakeskin clutch (Jack Rogers); Watch (Michael Kors, Nordstrom)
In the 8th grade, I convinced my mom to buy me an ivory pencil skirt and matching sweater.  I can't remember whether it came from Paul Harris or Casual Corner in the Markland Mall (anyone remember those stores? I'm definitely dating myself here!), but I remember the garments well.  The sweater was a soft cashmere blend with a jewel neckline that had a single pearl button in the back; the skirt was wool and hit just above my knees.  The fact that she bought it for me is somewhat remarkable because I am a colossal klutz (see my prior post about white pants) and this creamy number was dry clean only.

I loved this outfit and I wore it everywhere:  to Christmas dinner; to church on Easter; for "away" volleyball games (we always dressed up); and even just to school every once in a while.  It was a little "too old" for me (though not in a preteen dressing like Miley Cyrus at the Grammies sort of way).  It made me feel grown up and elegant at a time when I often felt awkward and insecure.  It brought to life for me the reality that “[t]here's more to clothing than just adornment. It does more than merely change how the world perceives us. It changes how we perceive ourselves.”  (Jacqueline CareyNaamah's Kiss).

In the years since, I've often thought about that snowy skirt and sweater.  Last week, I decided to recreate the buttercream confidence builder for a holiday "Cupcakes and Cocktails" open house hosted by a new friend.  I wasn't sure I would know anyone other than the hostess, which sometimes makes me tentative, but I arrived feeling like an extrovert and ready to make merry.  Something about wearing winter white really chases the winter blues away.  As artist Sebastian Horsley once said, “Being well-dressed gives a feeling of inward tranquility which psychoanalysis is powerless to bestow.” 

Fashion is what you buy; Style is what you do with it!
The iconic whipstitching of the Jack Rogers snakeskin clutch echoes the pattern of the lace skirt and adds a different texture to the monochrome look.

Linked up with Friday's Fab Favorites

2 comments:

  1. Visiting from Style Elixir Friday's Fab Link-up! I love this skirt! I'm digging winter white this year. You've styled it all so perfectly.

    <3 Vicki
    wildeinthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki! Same here - I can't get enough winter white this year, for dress and casual...

      I'm looking forward to checking out Wildinthecity!

      Delete