Friday, December 6, 2013

IN Fashion Friday: Ginger 'n Spice and Everything Nice

Jacket (Ginger 'n Spice); Skirt (JC Penney - see it styled another way here); Boots (Anne Klein - see them styled another way here); Scarf (Betsey Johnson, Steinmart - see it styled another way here); Bag (Coach, eBay); Watch (Fossil)
For the past several years, I've been going to the same nail salon.  It's on my way home from the office and always has my favorite OPI nail color ("OPI Love This Color", if you're wondering).  The salon is situated in an unassuming, older strip mall on the far west side of Avon.  There really isn't much else there, and I would never consider this particular little center as a shopping destination (though there is a good pancake restaurant).  As a result, I probably passed by local, independent boutique Ginger 'n Spice a hundred times without going in.  And then, one Saturday last summer, I had some time to kill while waiting for an open pedicure chair so I wandered inside with absolutely zero expectations.  What a pleasant little surprise to find clothes I liked, and an owner I could sit down and talk to for hours over a glass of wine (or three)!  

As I mentioned in a prior post (remember my favorite red leather jacket?), this boutique has been continuously operated by local owner Cleda Janke for the past 37 years.  Despite a lack of significant advertising and unusually eclectic stock driven primarily by the tastes of its owner, Ginger 'n Spice has developed such a loyal clientele over the years that even customers who've moved out of state return a few times a year to update their wardrobes.  I suspect that is due in no small part to Cleda herself, an old-school fashionista with a passion for the little details that make a garment stand out.  

This denim jacket is a perfect example.  I was wearing the ecru lace Betsey Johnson scarf the last time I visited (Cleda approved, and I think would have bought it from me if I'd offered!), and I couldn't resist this faded, fitted jacket with its crocheted lace pockets when I saw how well they coordinated.  I have other, more casual jean jackets, but this one is a cut above the ordinary and also feels work appropriate with the scarf and a skirt.

Sometimes that little place you've walked by a hundred times and never dreamed would have stuff you'd wear will surprise you!  If you live in Avon or further west of the city, Ginger 'n Spice is worth a visit.  You can find directions and store hours here.



Fashion is what you buy; Style is what you do with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment